Monday, December 21, 2009

I got a Dee-Limmer


Ok, the sweet potatoes fried in a cast iron skittlet with butter and Vermont maple syrup, then baked in the oven turned out ok. (Sorry no Pic).  The dressing with roasted pine nuts, chopped dried prunes mixed with bread croutons soaked in a mixture of saute'ed onions and garlic, white wine and chicken broth, baked til done was good too.  Nothing to english peas, drained and heated with 3/4 stick of real butter.  But,, was disappointed with the De-crowned Pork Roast.  I think I let it get a little over done.  160 degrees instead of 140 .  It was good but not a tender as I had hoped and imagined.  This was a trial run, so I am going to do this again, but,,, what I need is a suggestion about the "tender" situation.  More ?  ,,,Less?,, or reckon it was the cut itself.  Anyhow, I only used a cup of the white wine for the dressing so I kind'a "dressed" off the wine,  beings that I didn't want it go to waste.  Soooooo,, any suggestions??

8 comments:

  1. I would cook it longer at a lower oven temp maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try wrapping it in foil and cooking slower with a bit of wine in the wrapping with herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had the best luck cooking it uncovered in about half an inch of water at 350 for an hour, then covered at 200-250 for another hour.

    I love love love sweet potatoes, and that dressing recipe sounds delicious! You sure make good meals, Glenn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything sounds really good. I usually brown my roast half an hour and then I cover and bake at 325 for 1/2 hour per pound....I think covering it while it cooks keeps the moisture in.....I will come back and check to see what the others advise (I am always open to learning new things).....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds delicious! I would cook the pork a little less and make a gravy from the pan drippings. Pork should be a little pink in the center. Put some onions and carrots in the bottom of the roasting pan and the pork on top if it. This will also help keep it from drying out. The roasted veges can be eaten or used for a stock for some future meal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! I've never dared to cook a crown roast. Here is a recipe from Epicurious though that got four forks...maybe it will help. (I've never dared, but every year I think about it.)

    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Crown-Roast-of-Pork-with-Onion-and-Bread-Crumb-Stuffing-233258

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daaaaang! I gotta come to dinner at your house!! (except for the pork--I'm a vegetarian) Mouth is still watering!

    ReplyDelete