Friday, June 4, 2010

It is Prononced "Tatersaaalliiiiiiiiddd"

We’re dropping like flies. Us “Bloggers” that’s who. Me too, but I am going to try to hang in there.

It has been awhile since I posted. A lot of things have been going on around the Ole Casa. Everyone has had a lot to do. Me too, but I sometimes don’t really know if you all enjoy reading what I slap up on the screen or you are just real nice people, about it. I think maybe it could be a little of both. Reckon? What I do know is, I enjoy reading what you folks write. I think what it is, is “Battling Fatigue”. Not battle fatigue, but , well you get the kinda play on words. I could go on about it but I think for me to fight my “battle” of fatigue is to tell you about this barbeque place, "Ribmasters" in this small community that The Boss and I go to quite regularly.

The Boss’s favorite is a plain chopped beef sandwich with lots of barbeque sauce on it. In Texas, beef is pretty much the king of B-B-Q. Pork is the favorite in other parts of the south but Texas has always had an abundance of cows ready to be a participant in this age old range cuisine. Brisket is a part of the cow that if not cooked properly is rather tough to eat, but with slow consistent temperature, it can be mouth watering tender. If any of you read the story about The Boss and me going to Denton and Greenville, well during that time of early life experiences, I worked at a Barbeque place in Denton. It was a bad thing. Oh, no, Not the Barbeque, but the fact that I went from 220 pounds to 275 in short order.

Pork ribs is another specialty that is different than some parts of the south. Beef ribs are popular in other parts and we cook them fairly regular here too but pork ribs reign king as far as I am concerned. They can be found either with the “dry rub” or “glazed”. Dry rub is with a mixture of seasoning rubbed on the slab of ribs before cooking and that is all you do to them. To glaze the slab, seasoning can or cannot be rubbed before cooking, but just before they are “done”, a sauce is put on the ribs and the fire “glazes” them to a tacky consistency. The sauce is often times a sweet and tangy sauce with a little bit of a “fire-ie” punch to it. I guess that is where the term, “season to taste” comes from.

Potato salad is a staple side dish, but a lot of people around here might look at you sideways if you order it that way. “Tatersaaaaaliiid” is the preferred pronunciation in these parts. I ain’t much on tatersallid. It use-lee has un-yunns in it. But, this place also has baked potatoes. I have my own recipe with that. Instead of me going all through the proper grammar and mixin’ procedures, I have posted a picture of a real “Texas BBQ Tater”. It ought to be a secret, but I will share it with you just this one time.

  Wouldn’t ya like to have a bite of this? Yummm


17 comments:

  1. Okay, Glenn...how am I going to keep my girlish figure with that staring at me? I'm not much of a meat eater (don't hate me), but I have to admit, I could scarf that down as fast as you. In fact, if we sat across the table from each other, you'd probably have to eat yours with a fork in one hand, and fend me off with your knife in the other! :)
    How's that for appreciation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's the generosity of people, Glenn. Oh, you might attract that sort, to be true, but when you get ta yarnin' there's nothing quite like it. Enjoy the summer. Most bloggers fall of like dem dare flies fer a bit, but mostly, we comes back come fall.

    Frig that looks tasty. Garlic? Gotta have loads of garlic.

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks perfect to me! Meat AND taters, in every bite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh this looks so good......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it looks gross, but I'm sure it tastes darn good! Here in Georgia, we do mostly pork BBQ and 'slaw'. (and don't tell anyone, but I hate their slaw)

    I swear, Glenn, you have got to have the worst case of low self-esteem when it comes to this blog! You may not have 82 commenters like some people, but those of us who do come are so pleased to know you, and are loyal readers when you do post. Let me say this one more time: it does not matter to us if you only post once in a blue moon when the mood strikes. Just keep checking in and bring one of your stories...or a good BBQ story or recipe. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, you gotta' understand that I do enjoy reading what you slap up here....in fact, I figure a whole bunch of people do. I concur, my friend, tater salad just doesn't work with those onions. My wife makes it that way. I don't understand my kids....I think some Yankee influence snuck in somewhere...'cause they don't like the onions.

    Keep doing what you do...and thanks for doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Onions! I spit them out as a toddler, and still hate 'em! Don't even have 'em in my house. Nice to know I'm not alone. I don't feel so weird now. Pass the BBQ beef, pork, chicken - I love 'em all. Yuuummmmeeeee.

    It's good to see you back here. I've been out of the loop myself for a while. I'll try to blog this weekend. We will see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you ever heard the term "Kindred Spirits?" Glen, I am this northern Yankee who has never had Texas brisket but salivate at the though of it. I watch cooking TV and what I see there makes me SO want to try it. There's nothing about bbq I don't like (other than the fact that I can't spell it)though I am a novice about making it. I cheat an do pork ribs in the oven and finish them off on the grill. I love my mothers recipe for "Taaaater Salad" made with no onions (radishes though, and sometimes it turns pink.) That said though, there's nothing like a good baked potato, and yours looks pretty darn good to me, just tell me there is a big old hunk of butter under all that meat. :)

    I do think a lot of bloggers are getting tired. Maybe it's the summer? Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mouth is watering at the sight! I love BBQ! I also love tatersaaliid, but I don't usually put unyunns in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This, Mr. Glenn, is the most disgusting thing I have ever laid eyes on. Holy crap...and I mean that as expletive and description (hands on hips)

    Glad you are hanging in there Glenn. Don't leave us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! My husband would be salivating over this picture :) I'm even getting hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't like the tatersalid with un-yunns either. But I tried to make it myself once, and I like that even less. Oh well - guess I didn't get your cooking gene.

    I did get the eating gene, however! Promise we can get BBQ next time I'm in town? :) We had pretty good hill-country brisket and ribs a few weeks ago, but it just didn't compare to the stuff at home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never in all my live long days seen a plate of food like that! mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know this is the wrong place to post this, but a while back, you told us about Abby Sunderland, the young girl who was sailing solo across the world- she's missing at sea right now, in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

    Thought you'd want to know...

    here's her site: http://www.abbysunderland.org/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keep in mind I am a vegan... but appreciate people who appreciate a nice piece of meat... but that, my friend, makes me kringe haha :)

    ReplyDelete